Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A Christmas Wish for my Girl

With Christmas just around the corner I am filled with excitement for our First Christmas with Georgia! I can hardly wait to fill her stocking, wrap her presents, dress her in holiday gear and tote her to all of the festive gatherings.

There was an article in Parenting magazine I was reading a few weeks ago about recognizing that not all Christmases' are festive and grand - and that sometimes, for some people the holidays are more of a hassle and stress than a happy occasion. The truth behind this article is really sad. I myself have experienced many Christmases' over the years that were wrought with stress and anxiety, but that never prevented the actual day from being any less exciting. It can be difficult to fit everything in that you want to over the Holiday season, especially with added pressure from work, children's activities etc. But when you break it all down, are we really a society that views too many festive events at once as a chore? If that were the case we would all hate Oktoberfest! If the worse thing that should happen to us over the holidays is that we have too many people to share wonderful presents with, or too many invites to handle - well then I would say things are pretty darn good.

So my wish for you Georgie girl, is that you always see each holiday as a blessing. That spending time with family is special, that each gift is recognized as a gift and not a privilege and most importantly, I hope you gain more joy from giving, than getting. As you grow older, I hope you will welcome the many invites that will surely come your way and appreciate all of the little things that make each holiday special (like your mother!).

No comments: